Thursday, June 13, 2013

Writing the novel with ADHD: Part one



The novel idea strikes. Jot down ideas immediately before they fly out of your head as quickly as they land.

Prepare a notebook. I use spiral notebooks. I write the title (it can be changed) on the cover. I avoid fancy and pretty, but insist on organizing the information into sections to prevent wasting time leafing through the pages. My daughter calls my system organized chaos, but it works. I use small sized post-its visible from the top to label sections: Plot/Outline, Characters, Setting, Research, Miscellaneous. Add sections as needed.



Carry a small notebook in your pocket or handbag that follows your every step. Transfer the notes into the novel notebook. Include those written on napkins, business cards, and body parts because you left your carry notebook at home.

Outline the plot. It is important to have a map.
This includes the story outline. My outlines vaguely resemble the form learned in school, or the one I taught students. The purpose is to guide you along the way. It's for your eyes only until you become famous and it surfaces to haunt and embarrass after you're dead and gone.





The ADHD mind can work for rather than against the writer. Visuals, creativity, and abundance of ideas are wasted without a system of organization. Develop yours from the beginning.




Visit Paul Keene's website.    

1 comment:

  1. I usually opt for WriteRoom in order to limit distractions as much as possible when I write{ but I honestly like INK for ALL's advanced accessibility interface better|. Must admit INK for All's advanced accessibility design is the best for me and my ADHD brain|... Over the past few months, I've been using Ink for All, I really like this tool http://bit.ly/2DWi1K9

    ReplyDelete