Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The art of wasting time

I discovered first hand the art of wasting valuable writing time, and I'm willing to share what I learned. I prefer my laptop for writing, and like many writers I use social networking, a website, and blog to promote my work. My laptop goes everywhere I go, allowing me to work in my office, the family room, at the kitchen table, and at my favorite coffee shop, opening up hours of writing time.


Anyway, that was my reasoning.


To stop wasting time, I adhere to five rules:
1. Do a trial study of preferred work stations/locations, and use the spot where I am most productive.
2. Set 15 minutes max for tweeting, and another 15 minutes for Facebook posts.
3. Keep website updated by scheduling two hours (more if needed) once a week after or before my writing time.
4. Schedule one hour twice a week to make blog entries.
5. Stick to the allotted times by setting a timer.


As you know, there are lots of ways to waste time, but I've found using one place for writing, and sticking to a schedule for networking, website maintenence and blog writing free up hours of productive writing.


Now, when I visit the coffee shop, I'm not only free to embrace the rich, bold, organic flavor of my coffee, but to add new character material from people watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment