Saturday, November 26, 2011

Your novel awaits--grab it fast!

I am asked on occasion where I get ideas for novels. The answer is the same: "From the Universe," I say.

Getting the idea for a novel is the easy part. As the saying (somewhat) goes, if I had a dollar for every idea I get for a novel, I'd be a millionaire whether I write one or not.  

However, an idea is simply an idea and nothing more until action is taken. If it's a good idea, it will demand attention, haunting you until you take action. Perhaps you'll write a synopsis, or a brief outline of the plot. It might be a character that demands recognition, or a plot twist. The point being, action sets the idea into motion, giving it life.

The idea will not wait forever, so if it's a good fit, grab it fast before it finds someone else.

4 comments:

  1. You've made a good case for the tried and true advice to always keep a notebook in your pocket. How many times have I thought I would remember something till I got home, and didn't. Your words are a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. I always think that a certain idea is so great that I will remember it for sure, and then I don't. I guess when it comes to writing... that is the key... write it down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol and Sheri, I couldn't agree more. Why is it the best ideas that "you're sure to remember" are the first to be forgotten?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only problem for me is that I get my best ideas in the shower...or while driving the kids to school and zoning out as they yammer in the back seat...I do try to keep little notebooks everywhere, though. The trick is to then find the right notebooks when I want to remember something. Oh, and to make sure the notebooks aren't wet from the shower.

    ReplyDelete